The Original Railway
The original Railway.                                                                                                      The original railway was laid with Peco SM 32 flexi track and was situated in a small, flat back garden. It was an end to end layout. It basically ran up the left side if the garden, across the top and down the length of the right hand side. Each of the two stations had a platform and a run around track enabling two trains to run simultaneously. There were a couple of sidings at each station. Although a fairly simple railway to operate, it provided me with many happy hours of fun, in the building and running of trains. There were also two tunnels, one long one at the back of a rockery, and a short one as one left the right hand station. The short tunnel mouth can be seen in the photo on the right hand side.
     When I constructed the railway, I first laid the track in the earth. This was fine for the first summer, but weeds soon spread, and the track got very gritty after rain. I then dug trenches and lined them with polyethylene sheeting, to hopefully keep the earth worms from burying up through the loose chippings I used as ballast. Well, after the next summer, the worms had managed to create miniature molehills in the track area. I then tried pouring thinned matt clear floor varnish over section of track, as I had some cheap varnish available. That worked quite well, so I used up all the varnish.
A Christmas special. Mamod No.1 waiting for the loading to be completed. Just look at those huge Xmas presents ! It was not a very comfortable job, taking this photo lying on my stomach in the snow.
Mamod No.1 emerging from the short tunnel, with the afternoon passenger train from Nihøje.station.
     On the remaining length of track I decided to remove the ballast and polyethylene liner. I dug a trench under the track to a depth of approx 3 cm. and then pressed the earth firmly down, and then I mixed up the ballast with one part cement to 4 parts ballast and 2 parts sand. I poured the dry mix over the track and pressed it down until it was firm at the sides of the track, and up to the top of the sleepers. I then watered it well with a fine spray of water from a garden hose.
I then covered it for 4 days to set. The result was a good permanent track bed, which could be swept clear of leaves and debris in a very quick time. Unfortunately, this started breaking up from frost damage after 3 or 4 years.
WORST still was the time we were moving to a new house ! A great deal of track got destroyed in trying to break up the cement. Most of the points were destroyed. This did not pose a problem however, except for the loss of expensive track work, as the new railway at its new location was to be built with 45mm track.
Nils Kristian's Roundhouse "Lady Anne" passing the signal box at the end of the station platform, and after arrival at the station.
This loco has changed somewhat, and is now a black 0-8-0 loco, after Nils Kristian added an extra driving axle.
 
NOTE:- If you have entered this page from a search engine and do not see A Tumbly Down Cottage Logo, or a horizontal menu bar with 6 subject categories at the top of the page, please click HERE to access to the complete website.