The city of Bristol was originally situated a few miles downstream from the mouth of the River Avon, where a thriving port existed for many centuries.
Bristol also had a shipbuilding and tobacco industry It has been the starting point of many historic voyages, one of which was John Cabot’s journey in 1497, which led to the discovery of the Northern half of the N. American continent. Over the centuries the city has spread over a large area, and has been an English county for over 600 years.
One of Bristol's most well known landmarks is the Clifton Suspension Bridge (above) spanning the Avon Gorge, 245 feet above the River Avon below. It was completed in 1864 by the famous Bristolian engineer Isambard Kingdom Brunel, whose most notable achievements were the building of the Great Western Railway and the steam ships “Great Western, “Great Britain”, and “Great Eastern”
A pic from the centre of the city, this was one of the gateways in the city walls. We do not know how old the gateway is, or even the age of the clock, but BUT WE DO KNOW that it was not working, as the time was constantly standing still at 12:00.
A view of the street in which the gateway was situated, this time looking up the street. Note the lack of brick built building, most buildings in the city were built of stone, in this case probably Bath stone, from the neighbouring city of Bath, Somerset.
Here is a view looking down “Christmas Steps” one of the remaining narrow old streets in the city centre. Here one can find buildings and atmosphere from centuries ago. There used to be a joke shop here in the 1950's and 60's
A view up Corn Street, showing the front of the Corn Exchange (RH. foreground). Note the black object a little further up from the lamp post, and another beyond that, these are “The Nails” which were used in outdoor trading, where the buyer would “pay on the nail”. The “paying on the nail” phrase is supposed to have originated from here.
The Llandoger Trow pub is a very famous Bristol landmark that was built in 1664. It seems that in the bad old days, slaves were brought from a landing point on the River Avon, through tunnels which came out in the cellar area of the old pub.
Still in the same general area, is the St. Nicholas Market, which was originally located behind the Corn Exchange, and consisted of small lockable stalls. Today the market has been extended into the Corn Exchange building.
NOTE:- If you have entered this page from a search engine and do not see A Tumbly Down Cottage Logo, or a horizontal menu bar with 6 subject categories at the top of the page, please click HERE to access to the complete website.